Even as early as the Second World War it had become obvious that the church was too small for all the people who wished to worship there. Plans were drawn up for an extension to the present building and incorporating a new tower in the south-west corner.
The cost of this work was put at £3,750 (June 1945) but was never put into effect. In the 1950s the Borough Council offered two sites (for a brand-new church building) on the newly-built housing estates : the first in Ulverston Road (where the Methodist Church later stood) and the second on Keswick Drive (now the site of the Moonrakers Inn). After much prayer and thought, the Church Council decided to extend the existing church building.
The commemoration stone was laid by the west porch on 3rd December 1955 and during the rebuilding the weekday services, together with baptisms, weddings and funerals were held in the chancel whilst the main Sunday services took place in St Chad’s (the church hall) a mile away on Avenue Road.
The newly rebuilt church was consecrated by Bishop Rawlinson on 4th May 1957. It was FA Cup Final afternoon, yet over 500 people crammed into the church for the service. The extensions had cost £18,500, all raised from direct giving.
The church is virtually the same today, except that a new Parish Room (1989) with kitchen facilities has replaced the old wooden one – the choir vestry and toilet area were altered at the same time. Also, a new entrance porch has been added, facing the road and the old entrance porch has been re-furbished with a disabled toilet facility.