The Eagle Club on St John’s Road, Newbold S41 8QN
Most people in Newbold will have had some direct or indirect association with the Eagle Club in their life time. The building started life in July 1863 as the second Church School. This Grade II listed building is currently used as a community centre for the people of Newbold and Dunston.
During Canon Moore’s incumbency, 1948-72, the council estates which now surrounded St John’s Church were built and a bigger school was needed. September 1961 saw the opening of the Cranborne Road School. Canon Moore then began the conversion of the Littlemoor School into The Eagle Club as a community centre. Over the next four years various meetings were held involving the Town Hall, the Education Officer, Councillors, various Society representatives and the Church Council. Alterations to convert the school to a club amounted to £11,567.00 and were met by grants from the Ministry of Education, County and Borough Councils, voluntary contributions and loans.Throughout the existence the building has depicted an eagle motif above the front door. The eagle is the emblem of St.John the Evangelist.At the first AGM of the Management Committee on 14th May 1965 it was noted that “approximately 450 persons have used the club since April, the majority being 15-16 year olds. Saturday dances were attended by 180-200 people.In May 1980 some major alterations to the structure of the building were proposed, to provide better facilities, this work was completed in 1982. For some reason, after twenty years, in April 1985, Derbyshire County Council unexpectedly withdrew the warden and, over subsequent years, gradually reduced the financial aid. It was thought the club would have to close down due to lack of guaranteed funds but fortunately, after much debating by the Management Committee it was decided to keep the club open and a Club Secretary was appointed to deal with the day-to-day management. The final committee meeting was held on Wednesday, 13th January 1993 and was chaired by Rector Raymond Ross, when the reins were handed to a newly formed organisation – The Littlemoor Charity.
The Littlemoor Charity
The Charity came into being on 6th October 1992 with the purpose of taking over the overall management of the club. The building was to be used for meetings, lectures, classes and for other forms of recreation and leisure-time occupations with the object of improving the lives of local residents. The accounts were audited and the remaining funds transferred to the new charity. The old school house was vacant and following refurbishment was put up for rent.During the last 10 years money has been raised through grants to complete a number of big projects:
- Double glaze the windows
- Replace the tables and chairs
- Restore, re-slate and insulate the roof
- Redecorate all the rooms
- Re-new the kitchen worktops and sinks
- Renovate the weights/access area to the disabled/baby changing area
The Charity is governed by a formal constitution and a Committee 13 volunteers who meet 4 times a year and 3 trustees.
At present current activities taking place in the building are:-
- Toddler Group
- Fitness Class
- Drama Group
For more information about the groups see the notice board outside The Eagle Club.We also encourage one-off users such as people hiring rooms for birthday parties.The building offers a large hall (with stage), a small side hall, a lounge, two kitchens and toilets which include facilities for the disabled. Upstairs there are showers and a changing area for users of the small 5-a-side tarmac play area. The Charity employs a part-time secretary to run and maintain the building. It cost £13.50 per hour to hire The Eagle Club.If you would like more details about hiring The Eagle Club for a family celebration or a group you can contact Angela Tel: 01246 206025 or The Eagle Club Tel:01246 451141