What is the Mother’s Union?
The Mother’s Union is an international Charity with 4 million members in over 80 countries around the world. It was 140 years old in 2016.
The purpose is to encourage parents to care for their children, physically, mentally and spiritually. Also, the advancement of the Christian religion in the sphere of marriage and family life.
There are five objects
- To uphold Christs teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding.
- To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the Church.
- To maintain a world-wide fellowship of Christians, united in prayer, worship and service.
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children.
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity.
Membership is open to all those who have been baptised in the name of the Holy Trinity and declare their support for the aims and objects of the society.
Mother’s Union Group at Newbold
The group meets on the second Wednesday of the summer month at 2 pm in the Parish Room. More information may be obtained by contacting by emailing the church or calling into Church on a Saturday morning.
Mother’s Union September 2017
The A.G.M takes place on Wednesday 11th October, commencing with Mass at 2pm in the Lady Chapel. Fr. Ben will officiate and hopefully be able to attend our meetings for a while. At the meeting we will be discussing the “way forward” for our group so input from our members will be most welcome. Please do try to attend; there will be scrummy cakes and tea afterwards!
I was sorry to learn of the death, on 14th September, of Mrs. Margaret Openshaw. She was the Secretary of the Chesterfield Women’s World Day of Prayer Group and worked tirelessly to organise the services each year, amongst, I understand, many other church related duties. Her funeral was held at St. Augustine’s Church on Derby Road, on 29th September.
Ruth Cable (Secretary & WWDP for St. John’s)