Fr Cutlack served his first curacy at St. Michael’s, a poor parish in inner Derby. In 1893 when Barrett resigned the living Cutlack took his place and was to stay for a further 45 years, the longest incumbent in Newbold’s history so far.
When he was inducted to the living on 24th March 1893 the parish had a population of about seven thousand, most of whom lived at Whittington Moor. When he vacated the benefice in September 1938 the population was nearer to ten thousand, many of whom lived in new houses in Highfield Lane and elsewhere. He was the first incumbent to have curates and he used the opportunities presented by this to build the congregation and develop regular services in both St Johns and St Chads Hall (opened in 1910) on Avenue Road. He had originally envisaged another church adjacent to the hall but it never materialised. His failing health meant that he was physically unable to take services during his last years but nevertheless did not vacate the living until he was 74, having left an indelible mark on the traditions and church life of the parish.